Sports, Habilitation, Art & Recreation Program
- Ice Skating
- Rock Climbing
- AZ State Fair
- Beep baseball
- and more!
How do I know if SHARP is right for my child?
We’ve established the following criteria for program participants:
- Have a visual impairment and receive services from a vision teacher.
- Are in school grades kindergarten– high school.
- Are predominantly independent (must be able to eat, toilet and dress themselves independently or with minimal assistance).
- Have an effective communication system (verbal, sign, augmentative) that they can use independently or with minimal assistance.
- Actively participate in a group setting without negatively impacting other group participants.
Inappropriate behaviors include:
- Running away
- Kicking, hitting, pinching or biting
- Displays of consistent defiant behavior (This includes, but is not limited to the following: constant refusal to stand in a line, constant refusal to participate in a variety of activities, constant refusal to abide classroom rules.
- Do not possess a serious medical problem that requires a nurse or qualified health aide for constant supervision.
SHARP is an adaptive recreation program designed for visually-impaired, children! This program is filled with a variety of activities to help develop hobbies, talents, friends and promote independence.
SHARP is held on Saturdays during the school year. Typically, program is from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sometimes we have special activities and the times are different, make sure to refer to the monthly newsletter for program details.
Most activities are free. There is a fee for field trips/special events, but it is usually less than $20.